Matcha Tea Cake Cookies from Food and Wine
- 2 mixing bowls
- Matcha bowl (chawan)
- Bamboo whisk (chasen)Whisk
- 2 baking trays
- Baking paper
- Cooling rack
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp Matcha Live Longer green tea powder
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Line your baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom in one mixing bowl.
- In another bowl whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Combine the first two tablespoons of Matcha with warm water in your Matcha bowl, then whisk until frothy and lump free.
- Add your Matcha mix to the other wet ingredients and then add this to your dry ingredients, folding through just until they come together.
- Roll the mixture into one inch balls and place on your baking trays, leaving about a two inch gap between each cookie, then refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 175°C.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes then remove from the oven.
- After another ten minutes has passed, transfer the cookies to a rack and allow to cool.
- Dust the cookies with a mixture of icing sugar and Matcha, serve and enjoy.